Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Name of the Wind: Blurb, Dedication and Introduction

The Name of the Wind: Blurb, Dedication and Introduction


In which Galatea laughs at hyperbole and questions the author's credentials.

Let's get the preamble stuff out of the way, shall we?  First, from the back of the book:
I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

So begins the tale of Kvothe—from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much more—for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.
I would like to point out two things.  First: this is a fraction of the blurb on Rothfuss' website.  I assume the publisher cut it down to what would actually fit on the back of a paperback novel.  Second: up until "You may have heard of me", this is lifted directly from a passage in the book.  Given that a blurb is about as accurate a representation of a book as a trailer is of a movie, I'll save the critique until I hit that passage in context.

Third (sorry): man, Kvothe sounds like a raging asshole.  Either that, or this is the speech of a man frantically trying to bluff his way past a powerful enemy who actually has no idea who he is.  Again, context when we get there, but hint: it's not the second thing.

As to the rest...well, for a blurb, it's surprisingly accurate.  We do get to see most of these things occur.  And we do come to know Kvothe as...well, I'll give you "magician", "thief" and "musician", though the adjectives are hyperbole and the "assassin" bit doesn't happen until a book that hasn't been published yet.  Again, though: it's a blurb, and as blurbs go it's a lot more accurate and slightly less hyperbolic than many I've read, particularly for other overnight bestsellers.


On to the rest.  Fair warning: I'm getting this out of an ebook, so it may not be the same dedication and so on as the physical book.  I know I'm missing the maps.

The testimonial:
Every now and then a book comes along that demands attention - a book you have to stay up all night to finish reading.
Yes, I stayed up all night to finish reading.  It was because I knew that if I stopped, I'd never be able to persuade myself to start again.
One which makes you laugh, cry, and takes you on an unforgettable adventure . . . and this is one of them.
I do not believe any of my laughter or tears were for the reasons the author intended.
 Welcome to the tale of Kvothe.
Thanks.  I think.


The author bio:
Patrick Rothfuss had the good fortune to be born in Wisconsin in 1973, where the long winters and lack of cable television encouraged a love of reading and writing.
I don't know what was on cable TV in the 70s and 80s, but I have always hated the idea that avoiding TV somehow makes you a more "pure" author.  I've got some of my best ideas from throwaway lines in TV series.
After abandoning his chosen field of chemical engineering...
This is going to be hilarious in a few pages' time.
...Pat became an itinerant student, wandering through clinical psychology, philosophy, medieval history, theater, and sociology. Nine years later, Pat was forced by university policy to finally complete his undergraduate degree in English.
As someone who spent far too long in school myself, I actually find this quite endearing and sweet.
When not reading and writing, he teaches fencing and dabbles with alchemy in his basement.
Not actual alchemy, I hope.  Because that's a great way to get lead poisoning.


And finally, the dedication:
To my mother,
who taught me to love books and opened the
door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
I adore the Pern books, but it is worth pointing out that they have some pretty awful prose and some downright disturbing gender politics. 
And to my father,
who taught me that if I was going to do something,
I should take my time and do it right.
No comment.

Is that it?  Are we done?  Well, unless I am suddenly inspired to track down the maps and spork those - which I think I might save until the end of the book - I shall see you in the prologue for the start of the book (and spork) proper.  "Welcome to the tale of Kvothe" indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment